Archduke Leopold V began building Seefeld's landmark, the Seekirchl, also known as the "Heiligkreuzkirche", in 1629. It was finished in 1666 and, at that time, it stood in the middle of the man-made Kreuzsee lake which had been created in the 15th century by Duke Sigismund the Rich, but which was drained in 1808. The little church is unusual in the Tyrol in that it is Baroque with an octagonal centralised structure and dome. It was created by the famous Architect to the Imperial Court in Innsbruck, Christoph Gumpp. The Late Gothic cross on the main altar and the frescos testify to the significance of the second pilgrimage church in Seefeld in previous centuries.