Cloudy2° / 14° CDetails & further outlook
The Leutasch valley is a valley with 19 different chapels and a shrine. Impressive numbers, when you think that, at the time that most of the chapels were built, there were less than 1000 inhabitants in the valley. There is a reason that the number of chapels bear witness to the piety around here - the size of the local administrative area stretches over more than 20 kilometres. The hamlets in the Leutasch valley are a long way away from the parish church. At that time there were only a few houses in Kirchplatzl, so almost every hamlet built their own chapel, in order that evensong and rosaries could be shared with their neighbours in the summer. The chapel bells had an additional purpose: if somebody died in the hamlet, this was signalled by the ringing of the bell. There were also peals for different kinds of weather to warn them of storms in the days before TV and radio. Detailed information about this themed walk can be found in the “Chapel Booklet”, which is available for € 3.00 in the tourist office Leutasch.