Rain2° / 11° CDetails & further outlook
In contrast to Oberleutasch, no church existed in Unterleutasch prior to the 19th century. The inhabitants of Unterleutasch frequented the parish of Mittenwald to which, from the church’s point of view, they had always belonged. It was only in 1803, that by high decree of Emperor Franz II, permission was given to build a church. However, due to the war of 1805 and the subsequent subjugation to Bavaria, the building plans could not be carried out. Only in mid 1827 did the court chancellery issue a new decree allowing the church’s construction, with building finally commencing at the end of the same year. Under the supervision of the Mayor and Director of Construction, Matthias Reindl, and the Highway Surveyor, Johann von Klebelsberg, who most likely also drew up the plans, Josef Waldhart of Imst built the church and the vicarage, completing it in 1829. He built a simple nave with an inset directly adjoining the choir. Both sections of the building have hipped roofs with a tower rising from the western part. In 1955, a porch was added from which one steps into the interior through a circular area, the former baptistery, and the organ loft within the first bay. This is followed by a square nave with a flat bohemian vault, illuminated by a semi-circular window. The west-facing arch leads to a barrelvaulted, rectangular choir loft. Unterleutasch, which then consisted of only 18 households, mostly depended on donations for the furnishing of the interior of the church. An altar, donated by Reutte, and a tabernacle presented by Oberperfuss could not be accepted for the newly built church, and therefore a new altar to go with the existing altar leaf was ordered from Franz Xaver Renn of Imst through the mediation of Franz Sieß, the curate of Oberleutasch. The altar leaf in metallic and rather harsh colours depicts a sermon given by St. John the Baptist and is a work from the late 18th century by Josef Leibherr, who was born in Imst. In 1978, the parish priest, Karl Kneisl, initiated a full restoration of the church. The Nazarene 'embellishments', which Johann Kärle donated to the two churches when they were raised to the status of parishes in 1891, were removed and the original state was restored.