The Calvary in Mösern is believed to have been created around 1830. On 1st June 1841, it was put in writing that local village families would take care of the maintenance of the little chapels.
The semi-circular construction houses a Calvary scene: Christ on the cross with the two thieves and the attendant figure of Mary. The painted two-dimensional figures of John the Evangelist and Mary Magdalene are probably somewhat older than the three-dimensional sculpted group. The frescoes, in the style typical of Leopold Puellacher, depict Jerusalem and, in the clouds above the city, God the Father. Originally there were eight wayside shrine-like chapels along the narrow, winding path that leads up to the Calvary – since 1989 there have been eleven.
In 1988/89, the inhabitants of Mösern worked in collaboration to restore the Calvary. New chapels were created along the path that leads up to the Calvary. A Nazarene picture by Maria Theresia Striegel, ‘Der Abschied Christi’ (Christ taking leave of his Mother), from 1899 hangs in the first chapel. Pictures with scenes depicting the Passion created by Professor Heinrich Tilly can be seen in the chapels that follow.
Situated in the eleventh chapel is a Nazarene carving depicting the mocking of Christ. For the missing Stations of the Cross – XI, XII and XIV – and the depiction of the resurrection, the Mösern-based metalsmith Alfons Neuner created bronze plaques that are mounted on the outer walls of the crucifixion chapel. The crucifixion group figures were restored in 1989 by Josef Trostberger, and the frescoes were restored by Karl Heinz Köll. The access route to the Calvary was improved in 2007 and several chapels were given new roofs.