At the sunny mountain hut in the extensive Wetterstein Mountains, Beate and Hans provide hungry hikers with traditional home-style cooking and other delicious refreshments all year round - on reservation, they also serve outrageously good ripples in the evening! The challenging ascent is rewarded by an unparalleled panorama of the Seefeld sunny plateau and the imposing "Grand Dame of the Alps", the Hohe Munde at 2662 metres above sea level. If there is snow, you can saddle up your sledge in the valley after lunch or use the hut as a place to stay overnight on a long winter hike lasting several days. In summer the evenings can be long and cosy on the sun terrace.
On request you can also stay overnight at the charming Wettersteinhütte: Depending on requirements, up to 35 people can be accommodated in the rustic camp and the adjacent "Kuschlhittn". At the crackling fireplace, at colourful sunsets and under sparkling stars, a night in the Alps becomes a very special experience here. Due to limited capacities, however, we would ask you to book in advance. Pets are also welcome.
The starting point of the year-round tour to the Wetterstein Hut is the Stupfer car park (subject to a fee) or the regional bus stop Leutasch Salzbach/Gaistal. The hut can be reached either on foot along steep paths and forest tracks or by a newly developed cycle route for sporty and demanding cyclists on (e-)bikes. In winter, good hiking boots with snow chains are recommended for ascents and toboggan runs.
- Ascent to the Wetterstein hut. The challenging hiking/bike tour to the hut leads from the Stupfer car park in the alpine paradise Gaistal, well signposted, steeply uphill and then about two hours through romantic woods with numerous vantage points to the Wettersteinhütte. The last steep section requires some stamina at the end, until the already clearly visible hut rewards you with a well-deserved refreshment at 1717 metres above sea level.
To the hike
To the bike tour
- Summit ascent Gehrenspitze. Ambitious hikers can join the (reverse) ascent of the Gehrspitze from the Wettersteinhütte or combine it as a two-day tour. From the Wettersteinhütte you then reach the Gehrspitze at 2,367 metres via the Wangalm on well signposted paths. From the top there is a magnificent panoramic view of the Wettersteingebirge. If you have good eyes, you can spot marmots and chamois in the rock. If you like, you can immortalise yourself in the summit book and then take the same route back down or climb even further to the Scharnitzjoch at 2,048 metres via an unmanned memorial hut. From here, the trail then descends through the less frequented, wildly beautiful Puittal valley to the Lehner district of Leutasch.
To the hike
- Hut circular walk. The Wangalm (1,751m) and the Hämmermoosalm (1,417m) can also be reached easily from the beautiful Wettersteinhütte. However, you should allow enough time for this extensive alpine tour, as all the huts have specialities on their menu. You can also stay overnight at the Wettersteinhütte and Hämmermoosalm and combine the huts to a multi-day tour.
To the hike
- climbing. Not far from the Wettersteinhütte, climbing enthusiasts will find a small climbing paradise with a picturesque view of the surrounding Alps in the gripping rock. In the warm summer months, like-minded climbers are happy to meet like-minded people on the sun terrace, who also like to spend the night here in a convivial atmosphere.
To the Wetterstein climbing area
- Natural toboggan run at Wettersteinhütte. The natural toboggan run can be reached directly from the Stupfer im Gaistal car park via a broadly cleared winter long-distance hiking trail. The ascent is well signposted from the car park and leads northwards with a pleasant gradient to just below the Wangalm. Over a somewhat more challenging valley cut, then left over the bridge and diagonally further uphill you reach the Wettersteinhütte at 1717 metres above sea level. The varied descent rewards the almost two-hour climb with three kilometres of wildly romantic forest passages and racy steep sections.
To the toboggan run
- Winter hiking trail. During the snowy winter months, overnight accommodation at the Wettersteinhütte is also offered as part of the winter long distance hiking tours. This stage is the exclusive highlight of the four-part Alpine hike and a unique opportunity to experience the winter wonderland in the Wettersteingebirge in a particularly impressive way.
To the winter hike