The gateway to the Naturpark Karwendel
Holidays in Scharnitz
Scharnitz lies at an altitude of 964 metres, the first stop just after the border with Bavaria. The journey is made even more convenient by the fact that the village has its own train station and, with just one step, visitors are already in the middle of nature: whether climbing in the Karwendel, hiking and biking through the meadows and forests, cross-country skiing and snowshoe hiking or relaxing and enjoying the huts and alpine pastures. It's not just Austria's largest nature park that has a lot to offer here.
A warm welcome to Scharnitz and Tirols Hochplateau!
Scharnitz in a nutshell
Did you know...
- ...the municipality of Scharnitz has 1,650 inhabitants (31.12.22)?
- ...the village lies at an altitude of 964 metres above sea level?
- ...there are a total of 529 comfortable guest beds in the municipality?
- ...the small village consists of a total of seven different districts and the hamlet of Giessenbach?
- ...Bavaria's most popular river, the Isar, rises in the Hinterau valley near Scharnitz and is therefore actually a truly Tyrolean river?
- ...Scharnitz is also called "the gateway to the Karwendel" because this is where you enter Austria's largest nature park?
- ...the world's best freestylers and snowboarders practice their tricks in summer (!) at the Banger Park Scharnitz?
- ...the Karwendel valley and mountains owe their name to the Gerwentil family who once lived there?
360° tour through the Region Seefeld
Easily and conveniently arrive in the Seefeld region by car or by public transport such as bus or train.
Select Preferred Mode of Transportation