Leutasch is first mentioned in historic records in the 12th century. In this period, the Noble Lords of Weilheim owned large tracts of land in the Oberleutasch, whereas in the Unterleutasch the Barons of Werdenfels exercised sovereign rights. In 1178, Bernhard von Weilheim donated part of his forests and pastures in the Oberleutasch to the Augustine Monastery Polling near Weilheim. In 1190, the monastery built a church in the centre of the valley consecrated to St. Mary Magdalene, which was first enlarged in 1500 and then again in 1725.
The building that we see today was raised in 1820 / 21. Construction was supervised by the curate, Franz Sieß, who was responsible for the parish from 1810 to 1836, built according to plans of the sculptor and artist, Josef Falbesoner of Nassereith, and was consecrated in 1831 by the Prince-Bishop Galura of Brixen. The impressive, classical high altar originally came from the Monastery of Bendiktbeuren in Bavaria, which was dissolved in 1803. The colourful, elaborate paintings on the ceiling and the painting behind high altar are the work of Leopold Puellacher (1776 – 1842). The massive structure is hardly segmented and its roof slightly curved. The tower from the earlier