Located in the centre of Seefeld, the pilgrimage church dedicated to St. Oswald ranked for a long time as one of the most famous places of pilgrimage in Tyrol. It owes its fame to the so-called ‘Miracle of the Host’.
According to legend, during Mass on Holy Thursday, 25th March 1384, Oswald Milser, from the Schlossberg border fortress, demanded a larger-than-usual piece of the communion host from the priest. Upon receiving the host he sank into the ground up to his knees. The altar stone, which he tried to grasp on to, likewise descended into the ground. The two imprints are still visible today (to the right of the freestanding altar). The host, after being removed by the priest, turned blood red. News of the miracle spread and pilgrims flocked to Seefeld. The Tyrolean sovereign rulers were likewise greatly impressed. The little chapel soon became too small and, therefore, in 1432, Duke Frederick IV, known as Frederick of the Empty Pockets, commissioned the building of a new Gothic-style church – the church still stands today. Work lasted a long time and construction was not completed until 1474 under the command of Sigismund the Rich.
The Parish Church of St. Oswald is one of the most beautiful late Gothic buildings in Tyrol. Several details are worthy of particular mention: the tympanum relief along the main portal that depicts the Miracle of the Host and the decapitation of Oswald, patron saint of the church, the 15th century frescoes inside the church, the famous panel by Jörg Kölderer that dates back to 1502 (on the right in the choir) and the high altar with its late Gothic figures. Detailed information on the parish church can be found in the Church Guidebook, which is available inside the parish church.